Friday, July 26, 2013

FO: Drop Shoulder Sweater

So Knitting Pattern Essentials has its flaws. 1) The author prefers flat knitting and seaming. 2) It is very much directed toward designing garments for adult women. 3) There is SO MUCH repetition (like copy/paste repetition not re-wording the same thing a different way) that it was annoying to read.

BUT! In spite of that, I thought I would try to unleash my creativity (the reviews were right about one thing, Sally's writing style is very motivating!) and knit my son a sweater (knit flat!) straight out of my head.

So I did.
And um.

The seams are so bulky!
Then I tried to do a chevron type thing at the top to make it look like waves?
That didn't really work.

The NECK! Oh my god lopsided!

I wasn't sure it would fit over Vyvyan's head but it fits over mine so I guess we're good there. I'll never know because I'm not the kind of mother who is going to make my son wear hideous knit goods just because I made them. WELL OK maybe once. When it isn't 92 degrees. And just for a picture. And I'll compensate him for his time with some kind of food item.

The only thing I actually like about this sweater is the detail at the bottom.


I really liked the combination of these three incredibly common stitch patterns!
But other than that, this project was a learning experience. Which is a polite way of saying it was a flop!!

But this blog is for sharing not only my successes but also my failures! If I had knit it in the round I would re-purpose the yarn. But no it's got all those seams that I am SO not undoing. I should really face it: Flat knitting is not for me.

But you know what? If this sweater had been knit in wool, I seriously believe the funky neckline could be blocked into submission. Why do I even BUY acrylic when I know I hate knitting with it! I really don't know, but I do know that I just bought like 7 balls of Wool Ease with which to knit my mom a sweater. Hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't look nearly that bad to me! It looks like you've done an awesome job, especially making it up on the fly.
    I think in your position I would attempt blocking the acrylic into submission - I've had great success with "killing" acrylic and making it do what I want it to do by pinning it out and steaming. The best thing about that method is that once it's been "killed" it never needs blocking again because it keeps that shape forever. It won't do anything for the seams though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it doesn't look bad, but I totally understand that some projects just don't live up to expectations. I always chalk up bad sweaters as good learning experiences so I don't feel like I've wasted my time when things don't turn out like I want them to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting ♥